Kentucky Alimony / Spousal Support

Kentucky spousal support is intended to preserve the economic status of both parties, as it existed during the marriage.

Kentucky alimony, also referred to as spousal support is the amount of money one spouse pays to the other, by court order or through agreement of the parties, for support and maintenance.

In Kentucky, pending an action for divorce either party may move for temporary maintenance. The motion shall be accompanied by an affidavit setting forth the factual basis for the motion and the amounts requested. Either spouse can receive alimony for the period of time it takes to prosecute the complaint for divorce.

To qualify to receive alimony in Kentucky the person requesting the spousal support must be able to show that they lack sufficient property, including marital property apportioned to them, to provide for their reasonable needs; and they are unable to support themself through appropriate employment or is the custodian of a child whose condition or circumstances make it appropriate that the custodian not be required to seek employment outside the home.

An award of alimony in Kentucky is discretionary. Spousal support is only awarded when it can show the need of one party AND the ability of the other party to pay.

The amount and length of time for a Kentucky maintenance order is determined by the courts based on all relevant factors including:

Modification and Termination of Alimony in Kentucky

Kentucky Statutes Section 403.250 Modification or termination of provisions for maintenance and property disposition states:

Kentucky alimony statutes can be found here: Kentucky Statutes Section 403

Disclaimer: The materials contained in this web site are for informational purposes only. The information contained is general in nature, and may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances. In any event, the materials do not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied up on as such. Online readers should not act upon any information in this web site without seeking professional counsel.